Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day Fourteen: I am thankful for my "Forever Friend."

Throughout my life I always want someone by my side that would know the person I was as a young child to the person I will become before I leave this earth. When I dreamed about this idea of a "forever friend" I always assumed it would be a friend that I met early on in my school days or it would be "the love my life." When some girls young they dream of finding their Prince Charming, living in a castle and white horses. I had this idea of a "forever friend" and I guess it was my own version of a fairytale. The idea for me was less about finding my one true love, buying a big house and living happily ever after. I simply wanted someone to know who the real me was at all stages of my life.

As the days continued to pass and years started to add up I began to believe that my fairytale was destined to be unfilled. It wasn't until the year that my life, what I at the time believed to be the "perfect" life that I had spent years building was burned to ash by the single word of goodbye. The days, months and year following that devastating moment in my life I learned so much about myself, my dreams and how to count my blessings.

I never imagined that the the girl who played barbies with me on our bedroom floor, or the teenage girl that would help me do my hair and make-up before dates or even the woman that grieved with me when love was lost would was always my "forever friend."

Today, I am thankful to have discovered my fairytale ending is really not an ending at all. My sister, my "forever friend" has been by myside since the day I was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment