Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day Thirteen: I am thankful for my Nana

One of the things I enjoy most about the month of November is that it brings out the gratitude in everyone. Today when I was reading the various reasons that people were thankful one in particular stood out to me. It was a status update about being thankful to know how to read. In the message the writer reminded me that there are many people who don't have the privilege of reading blogs, books, notes, cards, e-mails, or even food labels.
Because of this individuals gratitude towards reading I was reminded of the person who taught me how to read my first words and instantly knew she must be my thirteenth day of gratitude.

When I was about three years old my grandmother whom we called "Nana" would take me to the park in the early mornings while my older siblings went to summer school. Our family had just moved to the Midwest so it was important for my older siblings to be prepared for the upcoming school year. Since I was only three years old the need the formal preparation was unnecessary as I would be playing on the magic rug, eating cookies and taking naps in my half day preschool class.
What amazes me about this memory is that my Nana didn't use my young age as an excuse not to prepare me for my upcoming education. In those early mornings at the park she began to teach me the tools that would help me become successful throughout my entire life. Yes, I said tools. She not only taught me to read but gave me the gift of charity by teaching me to read the book "The Giving Tree." Two "tools" I still use today and will continue to use in order to keep my life full.



Today I am thankful for my Nana. I am thankful for the her time she spent teaching us, believing in us, and most of all I am thankful for the beautiful person she was while on this earth.











No comments:

Post a Comment