Sunday, November 11, 2012

Day Ten and Eleven: I am thankful for "time outs"

Never under estimate the power of a time-out!

As children we were taught that "time outs" were a form of punishment. If we would act up, fight with our siblings, run in the house or any other childlike activity that was considered breaking a house rule we would quickly find ourselves most often in a chair in the corner of the room in "time-out." Our parents meant for this time to be time spent thinking about our actions and consequences.

Let's be truthful. As children how much quality "thinking" did we really do in those still moments that we were sentenced to the corner chair? I think it is a fair guess that most of us would answer minimal. If my memory serves me correctly I am pretty sure I was bored or I was already thinking about what kind of trouble I could get into once I was out of time out.

Now that I am older and getting into a different kind of ruckus I am very thankful to be able to call time-out on myself. I now appreciate the corner chair, the down time and the time to think about actions and consequences. My mother would be so proud.

~from a state of pensiveness....

No comments:

Post a Comment